September 27, 2007

The twilight zone of the freelance translator...

So, last night was my first venture into the world of Continuous Professional Development when I attended a seminar relating to my chosen profession - for those of you who don't know and are still even remotely interested, it's translation.

I went up to London with my colleague, Anne, and we attended a seminar which sounded interesting and should have been useful, blah, blah, blah...

...but it was rubbish. The guy who did the presentation wasn't exactly the human dynamo, the way the presentation was, erm, presented, was pretty dull... but the main thing that struck me was, well, just how odd some freelancers are!

I'd been warned a bit about this before but I'd forgotten. Now, I'm all for individual expressions of fashion and taste (with my hair I'm in no position not to be) but there were some, shall we say, interesting outfits!

Anne said she thought it had a lot to do with the fact that a lot of these people... well... they just don't get out much, don't have much in the way of human interaction!.

And this is what causes another thing: man can they talk!!! I guess it's the splendid isolation of spending so much time on your own that does it.

And to think I aspired to 'go freelance' in the long term...

This was my second night out in London the trot (I know, crazy aren't I?!). On Tuesday I had the privilege of going to the new Arsenal stadium with Graeme to watch us beat the Barcodes 2-0 in the Carling Cup. It's an awesome stadium, check it out here:



Oh, and I've removed a few blogs as they don't seem to post any more...

9 comments:

youthwork southwest said...

Please could you refrain from mentioning said fizzy pop cup? It's still smarting a bit...

Hope it was a great night for you - I hear it's quite a stadium?

Andy said...

It is a truly AWESOME stadium.

And sad to say it, but your boys were absolutely rubbish. Well, I say sad to say it but my North-East allegiances lie in red-and-white-striped shirts so not that sad...

Katie said...

Sounds like you fitted right in then Andy... ;-)

Andy said...

How strange. I clicked on the page, noticed there was another comment, and immediately thought to myself:

"That'll be Katie saying something sarcastic"...

Katie said...

I wasn't being sarcastic.

I meant it...

Mitchenstein said...

People have wised up to you now Katie...

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

See, Katie, there's sarcasm, and there's being downright unkind...

Pluto said...

I know what you mean about seminars! I've experienced a few presenters like the one you described. The first thing I usually do when I arrive at one of these courses is look at the programme to find out when it's coffee time. next, I check the time for lunch. I also try to size up who will do all the talking at the plenary session and keep us late (usually on Friday afternoon)