July 03, 2007

A murderer in our midst

So we're now settling into the house, enjoying the vista, sometimes even occasionally with sun but we've discovered a slight new problem: our cat's a murderous assassin.

Where we used to live was on a new development so the amount of local wildlife was negligible. Now, however, with a garden backing onto fields and the catflap installed (to the relief of myself and the cat as he'd started to take exception to being kept inside after the move and was scratching and biting the jiggery out of my limbs), what we assumed to be a sweet, innocent, cute-looking moggy has turned into a predatory monster.

Don't get me wrong, he's still capable of being enormously cute, in fact most of the time he is enormously cute, but on Friday night he started to show us what we've not seen for the past year he's been with us.

Those of you of a squeamish or vegetarian nature (like V, not that she reads this), you might want to turn away now. Those of you still reading, don't say you haven't been warned.

We'd decided to keep him (Bob, the cat, obviously) inside until such time as his new ID tags arrived and I had a chance to fit the catflap. This opportunity duly presented itself on Friday night so in it went, and out he went... but within 30 seconds he'd returned, complete with half-dead bird in his mouth. To cut a long story short he then proceeded to play with it until it was dead, then eat some of it and leave the rest for us. This was followed over the course of the next 24 hours by a fully-dead bird, couple of fieldmice and a vole, the last of which he actually brought upstairs to show us just what a good hunter he is.

As we'd not previously experienced this it all came as a bit of a shock, but I guess it's just in his nature and, having previously tried (and failed) to reason with him about not climbing on the sofa when he was wet and dirty, I decided not to waste my energy on it this time.

Problem is I now find myself in a bit of a quandry. Having defended cats when Chell blogged about it, I'm now facing up to the fact I live with a murderer. I feel so tortured... still, could be worse, I could have been that half-dead bird in his jaws...

4 comments:

Liz said...

Andy, essentially you have a wild animal living in your house and as you must know by now, cats can chose which persona to present to you at any given time. You just HAVE to get used to it I'm afriad. If he leaves bits fo you, it means you are highly regarded!

When our two kittens ( maytheyrestinpeace) were first let out after all the injections and stuff, they worked together to bring down a magpie!

Andy said...

Yeah, I/we know he's a wild animal and we're coming to accept that.

Was kinda cute too... yesterday we got home to find he'd brought us another vole and placed it by the front door for when we got home. For some reason, when he brings in a vole, he brings it to us.

Maybe we look like we could do with a bit of vole in our diet...

Mitchenstein said...

Now I come to think of it, although I don't know you so well, I remember thinking when I first met you, 'now, there's a man who needs some vole in his diet'.

I never said it before - I didn't know how to bring it up - but I couldn't miss this opportunity.

Andy said...

Diagnosing clever stuff like that on sight alone, Mitch... you should be a doctor.